Flying Squirrel IPA

Posted: June 19, 2011 in All Recipes, IPA

Flying Squirrel IPA
1 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 8.6 %
9 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 79.5 %
1 lbs Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.6 %
6.1 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.3 %
1.00 oz Falconer’s Flight 10.50% – First Wort Hop (60 mins) 41.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Falconer’s Flight 10.50% (15 mins) 9.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Falconer’s Flight 10.50% (10 mins) 8 6.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Falconer’s Flight 10.50% (5 mins) 7.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Falconer’s Flight 10.50% (0 mins)
2.00 oz Falconer’s Flight 10.50% – Dry Hop 14 Days
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (10.0 mins)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (10.0 mins)
Wyeast 1275 0711055 Manufactured 03/01/11 1L Starter

Mash @152ºF for 60 mins.  Mashed in @151.9.  Dropped to 151.7 over 60 mins.  Mash @1.2qts/lb, add 5.5 qts boiling water for mashout.  Sparge to reach 6.2 gallons preboil.

Expected OG = 1.062
OG = 1.060 (Originally 1.052, added 1 lb DME to hit 1.060) 67.5% efficiency
FG = ?
ABV = ?
IBU = 64.7
SRM = 6.0

05/29/11 – Made this today.  Had some major efficiency issues.  Because of this, I added a pound of extract at flameout to bring the OG from 1.052 to 1.060.  It was kind of a quick last minute decision and I’m hoping it doesn’t affect the overall quality of the beer.  I also had issues with my refractometer not working properly.  Used all Falconer’s Flight blend hops (which is supposed to be amarillo, citra, simcoe, and something else or another).  I’m trying to emulate a lighter colored, no crystal, IPA similar to a DFH 60 minute.  Will update with time.

06/07/11 – Racked to secondary and dry hopped.

06/19/11 – I originally didn’t even post this recipe as I was still pissed off at the issues I encountered while brewing this.  Firstly, I bought distilled water and calibrated my hydrometer and refractometer.  My hydrometer was dead on, and my refractometer was off by just a little bit.  Refractometers are usually auto temperature correcting, but if the actual device is hotter, it will not work properly.  Seeing it was 90ºF+ on brew day, I’m guessing my refractometer was acting goofy because of that.  I also read that if you use all lighter colored malts in a mash, the pH can sometimes be thrown off causing efficiency issues.  I do have a pH meter and may start employing when necessary.  Also, an acid rest may be implemented to help the pH be where it needs to be.  This was also the first time I ordered from Rebel Brewer and did not measure out that the grain I received was accurate.  I also ordered it precrushed and do not know how well they usually crush their grain.  There’s a variety of things that could have gone wrong.  It will still probably be a great beer though.  I will update with tasting when I keg this. :mug:

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s