A-Team Summer Wheat

Posted: June 19, 2011 in All Recipes, Wheat

A-Team Summer Wheat
3 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 39.7 %
4 lbs 11.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 49.7 %
1 lbs Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 10.6 %
0.50 oz Cascade 8.00% – First Wort (60 mins) 15.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial 10.50% (20 mins) 11.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold 10.90 % (5 mins) 7.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra 13.40% (5 mins) 9.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial 10.50 % – Dry Hop 14 Days
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold 10.90 % – Dry Hop 14 Days
1.00 oz Citra 13.40% – Dry Hop 14 Days
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (10.0 mins)
*0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (10.0 mins)
1 package Rehydrated US-05

Mash @153ºF for 60 mins @1.38qts/lb (Mashed in @153.1ºF, finished at 152.9ºF).  Sparged twice to reach 6.2 gallons preboil volume.

Expected OG = 1.057
OG = 1.057 (80%)
FG = ?
ABV = ?
IBU = 44.4
SRM = 6.3

06/18/11 – I brewed this beer up for A-Team.  As they have a set up in their garage to have a homebrew keg on tap, I figured it was only right that I filled it up with beer.  I’ve made a few very successful, hoppy wheat beers since I started brewing.  I made one a couple months ago that turned out great.  This recipe is a tweak of that.  I didn’t add any Simcoe (which I usually pair with Amarillo), but there’s plenty of other good hop flavors going on to make this beer enjoyable and complex.  I’m hoping to get a little tangerine/sweet orange from the Centennial addition, some nice pineapple/mango from the Citra addition, and a big citrus/grapefruit/floral punch from the Amarillo.  I played with the idea of hop bursting, but supposedly not having a 60 minute bittering addition can sometimes make the bitter hop character diminish fast.  Seeing as this beer wasn’t for me, I figured I’d FWH with Cascade to get about a third of the IBU’s so it would have a nice citrus base to build on.  I brought the percentage of wheat down to 50% of the total grist and upped the Caravienne to 1.00 lbs from .75lbs.  I also mashed a degree higher at 153ºF for just a bit more body.  Brewday went smooth as hell too.  We only collected about 4.8 gallons of wort, but this is due to the fact that I used all whole leaf hops, and those guys like to absorb a bit of wort.  The hydro sample tasted amazing.  Should keg this when I get back from my trip in July.

06/19/11 – *When I went downstairs to check on the beer this morning, it wasn’t really fermenting that crazy at all.  It was then that I realized I never put the yeast nutrient in.  I know airlock activity isn’t a good gauge of strong fermentation, I just expected it to be going a little faster at this point.  Either way the yeast nutrient won’t matter much in the end anyways, it’s just weird forgetting it because I usually use it in each batch.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s